The sauce gives chicken a really good flavour. Rice is a good accompaniment. Choose whole leg joints or drumsticks. You will need a casserole dish and a frying pan.
- Chicken - 4 leg joints or 8 drumsticks
- 150ml (1/4 pint) sunflower oil
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 3 level tablesp brown sugar
- 1 ½ teasp prepared mustard
- ½ teasp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 desertsp lemon juice
- 150 g (5oz) tomato purée
- 10 fl oz (1/2 pint) water
- Salt and black pepper
In a frying pan fry the chicken joints in the oil for a few minutes then transfer them to a casserole dish.
Remove some oil, leaving a small amount to fry the onion until it is golden.
Add all the other ingredients, simmer five minutes then pour over the chicken.
Cover with a lid or tightly with foil.
Bake at 350 C / Gas 4 for 50-60 minutes.
Serve with rice.
This improves after a day’s refrigeration.