This lovely, quick recipe, similar to frittata, is particularly useful for anyone on a slimming diet, with wheat intolerance, or trying to cut down on carbohydrates.
It is excellent for vegetarians too if the bacon is omitted.
Have it as a lunch dish or for a picnic because it is good both warm and cold.
You will need a 20cm/8in. shallow tin, preferably loose based, but it can also be cooked and served in a china flan dish.
- 4 large eggs
- 5 fl oz single cream
- 275g (10 oz) frozen spinach
- 5 spring onions
- 175 g (6 oz) feta cheese
- 4 slices of bacon (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- 50g (2 oz) grated parmesan cheese
- Grease the tin and line the base with baking parchment paper. Heat the oven to Gas 4/180C.
- Put the spinach in a pan, cover with boiling water, and simmer for only 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Trim the spring onions removing the green tops and slice them.
- Cut the feta into small cubes. If using bacon cut it into small pieces.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with the cream then add the other prepared ingredients except the parmesan cheese.
- Place the tin on a baking tray in the oven for 2 minutes then pour in the filling.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until it is firm in the centre. Five minutes before the end sprinkle on the parmesan cheese.
- Leave for a few minutes then run a broad-bladed knife around the edge for easy removal from the tin.
- Serve warm or cold with tomatoes.