Butternut squash is very popular at the moment . It combines well with other flavours and here I’ve added some chilli to spice it up, but you can omit that or add any other spice of your choice.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small omion
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 450 ml (15 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1 small chilli (optional)
- 100ml (4 fl oz) double cream
- salt and black pepper to taste
- a spoonful of chopped parsley
- Note: A little curry powder may be used instead of the chilli if preferred.
Chop the onion, soften it in the oil.
Peel and deseed the squash, chop the flesh. Add to the pan with the stock and chopped, deseeded chilli.(optional).
Simmer with a lid for approximately 20 minutes until the squash is tender, then add the cream and blend (with a liquidiser or hand held blender) until smooth.
Season to taste and sprinkle with chopped parsley.